Sunday 3 March 2013

Interview with DOLA BILLZ

My Interview with Nigerian Rapper
 MR. DOLA BILLZ



Stay tuned as he talks about his latest E.P '"RAP-STAR",

 working with Tilla Man, future plans and much more!!!



1. What is an E.P for people who do not know?

An EP is a short form of a L.P which is widely known as a Long-play or 12inch if you knew music from the vinyl Era..

2. I heard some of the tracks on ‘THE RAPSTAR E.P.’ and I have to say I really, really like them, WELL DONE!!  What inspired you?

With this project I just thought I’d remake a few records that I have liked along the way, and put a little Dola into them. Besides that all the happenings around me gathered to make the lyrical content in it 

3. Where did you record the tracks and how long did it take you to record them?

 I recorded most of the tracks in Hit-factory studios 8alhaji Bashiru Street Ajao Est Lagos, only 1 or 2 records were recorded in sound-central studio Victoria London.

4. We have so many rappers out there in the world, which rapper would you say motivates you?

A lot of rappers motivate me, but the ones that are able to be consistent are the ones I admire their work the most, because I motivate myself. But with regards the ones that I like and enjoy their music the list would be Jay-Z, Kanye West, Drake,Lil -Wayne, Aspandababa

5. What would you classify/describe your rap style as?

I would describe my style as me, ghetto sheek, Ghetto slick... English meets Yoruba.... educated streetwise... sophisticated-hood. I can fit into an elaborate executive upmarket setting and still fit right amongst the street... that’s Dola-Billz

6. You had a couple of ‘hit songs’ such as Puyanga, Jeun Lo, Sing for me.
Would you say they have helped you to get to where you are now?

That's simple the more hits you have the more shows you play and the more your music spreads hence determines the revenue you generate. I pray and hope for more hits , matter of fact my peoples should watch out for tunes like slow-whine, mimo, touch it, roll with the rapper, no gocking etc... Serious Hit records that are on their way...

7. When Puyanga came out every club played the song, for me I will say it is your biggest single so far, how did you come about the whole track?

 I remember free-styling the hook to Pu'yanga after a show we done in Leeds University for Black History Month. Tilla added the singing bits...I got home recorded the vocals and that was it really.... later jjcskills who was kind of using our studio at the time heard the record liked it and decided to make a beat to it.

8. After you released a couple of singles, you didn’t release tracks for a very long time, why and what was the period like for you?

It was a doomed period for me, but one which I snapped out of quickly because they pretty much urged me back into the studio... now when I look at it, I don’t think I was away for long but because my fans are used to always getting new music from me and for a little period I didn’t do that and later dropped a full project called OvertakeDtakeover. 

9. You are the CEO of 166 family, can you tell us why you guys are called the 166 family and how many of you are in the group

166 family was founded in 2007. The flat which I stayed after graduating university and moving back to London, and all the members of 166 most have recorded in that 166 flat... the original members were, myself Dola-billz, Tilla-man, AD-1, Bigtizzy, saffy, martel-b, aspanda baba, topsay omoibadan and Ms devine.  so originally 9 members. out of which 7members still remain it’s a family thing.

10.  How many tracks have you guys released?

Pu-yanga, Faaji, I'm Fly, Jembe, Jeun-lo, Sing4me. Moyo, Change, Skanking tin, Me and my Girlfriend and Can’t take it no more.

11. Obviously you have singles on your own and some with the 166 family, do you prefer to record tracks by yourself or in a group?



 I do both quite easily... I enjoy making music so I don't mind making music by myself, or with the clan..

12.  So what are your plans right now?

I recently released the #RapstarEp and we are very happy with how it’s being taken, so its videos, and shows all over the country now to show case the songs in the EP. Basically there a #RapstarEPTour in place that would star from March the 1st. so catch us at a location near you.

13.  What can people expect from Dola Billz?

 The Best quality music, heart-felt and continuity... and decent Videos..

14.  Can we expect any future collaboration with any of the Nigerian artists?



Yes off course there are a lot of collaborations in the bag.They we all be reviled with time.

Watch his new video for his hit song 
'' See it in her eyes''  

1 comment:

  1. Dola Billz is one of the underated naija rappers. He is a beast lyrically and i love his london lingo in his Rap!

    ReplyDelete

Be the first to see the latest posts!!!